More information about VWP/ESTA
I was refused a US Visa. Can I use the VWP ?
- No. You need a B-1/2 Visa to visit.
How long is my ESTA Authorization valid ?
For most countries the validity period is two years, for some countries only one year.
You must submit a new application once your ESTA expires.
You must also submit a new application if you:
- change your name (e.g. because of marriage, divorce)
- receive a new passport
- change gender
- change citizenship
- have a change in situation (legal or medical) that impacts your authorization
How often can I use my ESTA Authorization ?
- As often as you need, as long as it is valid and your passport is valid.
My ESTA Authorization will expire while I am visiting the US.
- That is not a problem. You do not need the authorization to depart the US.
I forgot my ESTA Authorization Number.
- Go to the Check ESTA Status page on the CBP website. The number will be sent to the email address you entered on your application.
I have a US Green Card. Do I need to apply with ESTA ?
- No. You have an Immigrant Visa. ESTA is for VWP visitors only.
I have a Non-Immigrant Visa. Do I need to apply with ESTA ?
- No. You can travel on your N-I visa as long as it is valid. ESTA is for VWP visitors only.
I am a citizen of a VWP country. On my way to a third country I will have a stop-over in the US. Do I need to apply with ESTA ?
- Yes, you do. On your application answer Yes to the question whether you are In Transit.