With your DS-160 Visa Application you must upload a digital image.
Your Photo must be:
- Sized 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm)
- In color
- In focus
- Taken within the last 6 months and reflect your current appearance
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
- Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (22 mm and 35 mm) or 50% and 69% of the image’s total height – measured from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- in color 24 bits per pixel (common output most digital cameras). The compression ratio should be less than or equal to 20:1. ‘Red eye’ must be removed. Photo cannot not be digitally enhanced or be altered in any other way.
If you need to bring a ‘real’ photo:
- It must be printed on quality photo paper.
- It cannot be retouched.
- You must have a neutral facial expression. Both your eyes must be open. Shadows on the face are not allowed.
- Do not tilt your head forward, backwards or to one side.
- Your clothing must be what you normally wear on a daily basis. Wearing a uniform is not allowed. Religious clothing is allowed if worn daily.
- Do not wear a head covering that obscures your hair or the hairline, unless worn daily for religious purpose. Your full face must be visible, the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face.
- You cannot wear jewelry or other items that detract from the face.
- Do not wear any glasses/spectacles.**
* Growing a beard, changing your hair style or hair color after a picture is taken, is not considered a significant change of appearance.
** Not even when you must wear these all the time.
Go to travel.state.gov
Search Visa Photo Requirements.
Use the State Department’s Photo Validation Tool to check whether your photo meets the requirements.
The validation tool makes it also possible
- to select a digital image stored on your computer
- to resize and rotate it if necessary
- to crop it to a square image of exactly 600 x 600 pixels
- to save the image to your computer for printing.
The Photo Tool requires Adobe Flash Player 10 or later.
Our VISA PHOTO App can be downloaded for FREE on Google Play.