A K-1 Immigration Procedure has three phases:

The I-129F Petition for an Alien Fiancé(e)

  • Your US fiancé(e) must file this petition with USCIS. Only a US citizen can file an I-129F Petition. Once the petition is approved you can apply for your K-1 Visa.

2. The K-1 Visa Application

  • You must submit the Visa Application Form DS-160. When your application is accepted you must undergo a Medical Examination and appear for a Visa Interview in your home country
  • The K-1 visa is valid for six months after it is issued. It is valid for only one entry into the US. Your marriage must take place within 90 days of arrival. If you do not marry within this period the visa becomes invalid and you must leave the US. If you still want to marry you must start over. A K-1 Visa cannot be extended.
  • An unmarried child/children under 21 years of age accompanying you, will be issued a K-2 visa.

3. Adjustment of Status (AOS) Application

  • You must file Form I-485 with required documentation.
    You do not need to undergo another Medical Exam.
    You will get a Biometrics Appointment (photo and fingerprints).
    You will have a second Visa Interview, this time together with your US spouse.
  • Your spouse must prove he/she have the financial means to support you. If he/she cannot meet the requirements one or two co-sponsors can be added.
  • The Green Card you are issued a Conditional Card. It can become a Permanent Card after two years. Your spouse and you must together file a petition requesting for the conditional status to be removed.

    You must file this request three month before your card’s expiration date. If the petition is not (timely) filed and the Conditional Card expires, you are no longer ‘“in status”. This can mean that you must leave the US.