Required Documentation

Military Record

Immigrants who served in the Military Forces must provide a Military Service Record document. If your country of nativity/citizenship has a system of mandatory military service but excused you from service, you are required to provide proof of that.
If you did serve in the army of your country and/or of another country you must provide (a) certified proof(s) of service. Or certified proof of discharge either honorable or dishonorable.

A Military Record is only required from countries that make it available.
If you cannot obtain this document for another reason, please provide a written explanation. Sign and date this letter.

Each Military Record must be issued by the proper authority and certified as such.

For instructions to request a Civil Document or Vital Record:

  • go to and enter in the search field at the top of the page.
    (name of country) country reciprocity schedule
    For example “Nepal country reciprocity schedule”
  • next click the document (probably the one on top) called
    (name of country) Country Reciprocity Schedule
  • on the next page you will see buttons with a selection of choices.
  • click Military Records.

The reciprocity information given can be obsolete. In that case contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country. Or do an on-line search.