Adjustment of Status


If you reside in the U.S. but your family is still living in your country of origin you can apply for Status Adjustment (AOS) and your family can finalize their applications through Consular Processing (CP).
All of you must submit Form DS-260.

But your I-485 Application must be approved before the Embassy or Consulate in your country of origin can start processing your family members.

USCIS will not automatically send notification of the AOS Approval. You must request USCIS to notify the Embassy or Consulate where your family intends to apply. The Embassy/Consulate will then provide further instructions.

AOS combined with CP carries a big risk that you will be issued a visa but your family will end up without theirs.